It is chestnut season, from the beginning of autumn until December all markets are full of these brown nuts and the streets with grill chestnut stands. The chestnut cake is a perfect dessert for the winter, it is the least calorific nut and has a nutritive value similar to cereals
You can prepare the recipe with pre-packaged chestnut puree, but now that we are in season I recommend making it with fresh chestnuts and entertain you boiling and peeling them, the difference is remarkable.
Instructions to make Chestnut Cake:
- If making it with fresh chestnuts, first wash, dry and cut them with a knife.
- Put the chestnuts in a pot. Pour water until covered, add a pinch of salt and cook for 30 minutes.
- Drain, let cool 2 minutes and peel.
- Put them to warm in a pot with milk to soften (approx. 15 minutes) and beat well until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Add the melted butter to the chestnut puree and beat.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Beat the yolks with the sugar until there is a smooth and well mixed batter.
- Stir in the egg whites with a spatula until well mixed.
- Incorporate the chestnut puree and continue stirring with a beater or spatula until a homogeneous dough remains.
- Add the shot of Cognac and mix.
- Grease a container and line with the baking paper.
- Pour the mixture and bake 30-40 minutes.
- Take out, let cool.
- Melt the chocolate over a water bath and glaze the cake with it for a finishing touch.
Ingredients for 8 Servings
- 500 g of chestnut puree or 800 g – 1 kg of chestnuts
- 350 ml milk
- 5 eggs
- 150 g butter
- 150 g sugar
- 1 shot of Cognac
- 100 g of dark chocolate 70%
Emma Vicente Herrera
Based on 1 Review(s)