When I tasted this pie for the first time in Strasbourg I was delighted and as soon as the season started I started to work on it, who would have thought that this red and tart fruit could be so deliciously sweet?
In Spain it is somewhat difficult to find, the season starts in February/March coinciding with the strawberry season, it is a fruit with an acidic flavour that needs rest and sugar to balance it, the result is obvious.
Instructions to make Rhubarb Pie
- Peel the rhubarb, removing the red skin, cut it into small pieces, wash, drain and sprinkle the sugar on top, stir and let stand in a colander for several hours to soak the sugar.
- First we will prepare the shortcrust pastry for the base of the cake following the same steps of several cakes that I have already uploaded, click on the shortcrust pastry link.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC
- Once the shortcrust pastry has rested, roll the dough out the counter with a little flour and the rolling pin and line a buttered baking pan with baking paper to put the dough on top, mold it well forming the edges with a fork or knife, put another baking paper on top of the dough and add chickpeas to prevent the dough from rising when baking.
- Put in the oven for about 10 minutes, take out, remove the chickpeas and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- We put the oven at 200ºC.
- Beat the cookies with the mixer until they are crumbs and sprinkle them on top of the pastry base..
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar (80 grs) and add the cream and continue beating until well blended.
- Put all the rhubarb on the tart base and add the egg-cream mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Lower the oven to 150ºC.
- Whip the egg whites with the powdered sugar until it becomes a meringue.
- Place the meringue layer on top of the rhubarb mixture and form waves with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Let the rhubarb pie rest for a few hours before serving.
- For the shortcrust pastry:
- 225 grs wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 110 grams of butter
- 1 kg rhubarb
- 200 g cream
- 4 eggs
- 3 biscuits
- 80 g sugar plus several sugar spoons for the rhubarb
- 130 g icing sugar